Sunday, November 27, 2011

A lot to be thankful for.

I feel so blessed that I didn't have to work this year. Usually I get the turkey ready ( except for cooking) make all the cold sides ( green salad, fruit salad, relish dish, pies...) and Eliza and I set the table the night before thanksgiving. I get up early Thanksgiving morning and get as much done before I leave for work.  When I am at work Mike puts the turkey in the roaster and gets the hot dish's done. When I get home from work the house smells lovely and we are ready to eat. The boys light the candles, Mike puts on the music and I change clothes. Then we all sit down to a lovely dinner and the best company in the whole world. 

  Thanksgiving is always fun but this year was even better because I didn't have to work. I got to help with all the cooking. I got to help make all the sides and best of all I got to spend the whole day with my family. I love setting the table and eating foods that remind us of our history. We use Mike's Grandma Nelson's china, My Grandma Larkins red relish dish, Mikes grandmas casserole dish and pan to cook the meal, and crystal serving dishes that belonged to Layton's ( my son-in laws ) great grandma ( that makes me think of Sarah Layton and Evey).




 One of the boy will quote the cable guy as they drink their cranberry juice "Dos thus have thou a mug of ale for me and me mate, for he hath been pitched in battle for a fortnight and has the king's thirst for the frosty brew dos thou might have for thus!" We eat to much and then put on the Muppet's Christmas DVD and sing " Christmas is coming" in a round with the Muppet's and John Denver.
It is always a great time with our family. This year We have so much to be thankful for and I am so glad I got to spend the whole day with my family.
PS love and kisses to Isaac in Korea, Alyssa in Utah, Layton , Sarah and Evey, in California. We love you very much and hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Mary,

    It always seems like Thanksgivings are more special when you have reminders of those who have shaped your childhood and your lives in general. I used my great grandma's 100 year old hand painted pie plate for one of the pies and since my sister and bil were here this year, we had some good memories to share around the table. With Laurie deployed, it was important to make sure the holiday included some of her favorites too - just because. Know what I mean?
    Prayers that your family will know many blessings in the year ahead and that next Thanksgiving you might not only again have the day off, but also have ALL of your children around the table.
    God bless you and yours.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to spend time with your family and not work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails